Why is My Car Leaking Oil?
If you recently noticed a dark, slippery stain on your driveway or that your engine produces a burning scent while traveling, those are signs that your car is leaking oil. At Pat Peck Kia Service Center, our team of highly skilled technicians can fix your leaky engine and have you back on the roads of D’Iberville, Gulfport, and Hattiesburg in no time.
Though fairly common, ignoring a leak can result in costly repairs down the road, not to mention weak engine performance. The most common reasons your car is leaking oil are:
- Worn valve cover gasket
- Loose filler cap
- Cracked oil pan
- Broken dipstick holder
- Punctured oil filter
Below we’ll go more in depth about these common reasons. So, if you recently wondered, “Why is my car leaking oil?” continue reading to learn more!
5 Common Reasons Why Your Car is Leaking Oil
- Worn Valve Cover Gasket: Over time, the oil inside your vehicle will be exposed to substances, such as oxygen, moisture, and dirt particles, which will start to oxidize, turning your oil into a heavy sludge. If not regularly replaced, this sludge will wear down the gaskets and cause oil to leak.
- Loose Filler Cap: If you’re the type of driver who handles their own oil and filter changes, the cap on the oil compartment may not get properly secured from time to time. If so, then this can cause oil to spill out and drip over the hot engine.
- Cracked Oil Pan:If you take your vehicle off-road or drive over surfaces covered in debris, you run a greater risk of denting or piercing your vehicle’s oil pan.
- Broken Dipstick Holder: In some instances, the tube that holds your engine’s dipstick might degrade or crack, causing oil to drip through the bottom of your vehicle.
- Punctured Oil Filter: Your oil filter is a porous cylinder that can easily tear when attempting to install it into to filter cabin beneath your vehicle, if it’s not handled carefully.
While these reasons tend to be the most common and easiest to identify, oil leaks can occur from a wide variety of situations. Due to this, it’s wise to take your vehicle to a licensed technician if it’s leaking oil.
Why is Motor Oil Important?
Think of your engine as the heart of your vehicle. Inside your engine block exists a complex system of moving metal parts, all working together to keep your vehicle in motion. Motor oil is like the lifeblood of your engine. It lubricates the metal components and removes any dangerous particles that find their way inside of the engine.
Depending on the type of vehicle you drive, a certain level of oil must be maintained for it to safely operate. If a leak isn’t located and fixed in a timely manner, it can cause several issues, including: overheating, lowered, fuel-economy and even full engine seizure.
Schedule a Service Appointment at Pat Peck Kia Today!
If you notice a dark pool forming underneath your vehicle, then we can help! The service team at the Pat Peck Kia Service Center is dedicated to providing honest and thorough care to get you back on the roads of D’Iberville, Gulfport, and Hattiesburg. Call or go online to schedule a service appointment today!